The Parish Church

The parish church, dedicated to All Saints was heavily reconstructed in 1864 when the 45' high tower was encased in Ashlar stone. The font in the tower may be Saxon or mid-13th century. Fine early
Pre-Raphaelite windows are by William Morris, Burne-Jones and Madox-Brown. Our church is associated with the revival of Mothering Sunday in Britain.

Click the icon for more information

Chapel Lane

The Church and the Chapel are both on Chapel Lane (formerly called Church Lane). The Almshouses belong to our village charity which also once owned Charity Farmhouse. Other buildings include the Old Vicarage and the Gables where our vicars lived for much of the 20th century.

Click the icon for more information

Wesleyan Chapel

The Wesleyan Chapel (now Chapel House) held services up to the 1970s. A chapel dates from 1827 but the existing building is from 1865. In 1858, in response to the Church of England school, the Methodists built a day school behind the Chapel. The schools competed for funds and pupils, but the other school enjoyed James Thorpe's support and the Wesleyan School closed in 1895.

Click the icon for more information

Main Street (south)

Main Street was part of the main turnpike road from Mansfield to Sleaford until in the 1930's when the road was built alongside the Plough westwards to the present school. On the east side were Hough's Yard, the Red Lion pub, a cobbler's shop and early Post Office. At the corner is Sunnyside Farm and Old Manor Farm which dates from 1713 and has a dovecote at the rear. Next to the Plough is the former village baker's house.

Click the icon for more information

Beckingham Road

Beckingham Road leads east out of the village towards Stapleford Woods and Sleaford. Houses and cottages of various ages lie along and just off the road. The village stocks once stood near the Old Vicarage. The road west from the Plough dates from the 1930's and that beyond the village sign towards Newark was not built until the 1960's

Click the icon for more information

Main Street (North of Beckingham Road)

Main Street - north of Beckingham Road.
The Inn on the Green was a farm and maltings complex that originally fronted the Green. Next door was the stone-built Hall Farm, but only a brick barn and some boundary wall were incorporated into the new housing. On the east side were a number of old cottages including the Globe Tavern, a beerhouse which closed in 1913, all since demolished. Most other housing, including a former Post Office, is 20th century.

Click the icon for more information

1960's Housing

The Morgan's Close estate of bungalows and houses leading off the Green was built in the 1960s. It was built on the site of a house once belonging to the Daltons and an orchard and fields once farmed by Mr Parkes. The roads are named after Col. Thorpe (the largest local landowner in the 19th century) and local farmers Messrs. Ross, Morgan and Parkes.

Click the icon for more information

Well Green

This area is called Well Green or simply The Green. Old brick cottages once lined its west and north sides but these were replaced by sheltered housing in the 1970s. The south side consists of a range of cottage, maltings and farm offices, which adjoins the Laurels - a handsome late 18th century listed brick house.

Click the icon for more information

Drove Lane

Drove Lane is now severed by A17, opened in 1989, which reduced traffic through the centre of the village. Manor Dairy Farm was sold in 1982 - its outbuildings are now all in residential use. There used to be tennis courts and a cricket pitch here. During WWII anti air-craft guns were sited nearby protecting RAF Winthorpe. Beyond the bypass are Drove Cottage Farm, Newark Air Museum and Newark and Notts Showground.

Village Sign

The Village Sign was designed and painted by a local resident with the aid of the local schoolchildren. It has a time capsule at its base. Hidden in trees nearby is the fishpond which was associated with the Moat on Balderton Lane.

Parklands Close

The older houses on Parklands Close were built by the RAF as quarters for married officers. An aerial photo of 1946 shows temporary military huts but by 1954 most had been removed to make way for the new houses being built. Many of the large gardens of the original houses have been divided and new houses inserted.

Newark Road East

At its east end Newark Road is lined with large horse chestnut trees. The Old Parsonage was probably the first house to be built in 1872, then the Thorpe Estate sale made more plots of land available and houses began to be built from the late 1920s onwards.

Click the icon for more information

Old Hall Gardens

Old Hall Gardens contains houses built after 1966 on parkland that once belonged to Coddington Hall. Penswick Close was built in the 1980's, on land that had been used by the military but had been abandoned by 1961.

Newark Road West

The west end of Newark Rd is now a dead end, cut off by the A1. Near the village Post Office older buildings cluster around the former entrance lodge and laundry to the Hall. Housing ranges from a Victorian cottage and farmstead, through the 1920s-30s and later 20th century houses to very recent ones. Beaconsfield Drive leads to newer estates built on the former Coddington Hall and RAF Winthorpe sites.

Click the icon for more information

A1 Area

The A1, opened in 1964, dominates this area. Greenways and Greenfields survived (though marooned and isolated) but Catch 'em Inn Farm was demolished. (Catch’em Inn, once a pub by the turnpike road, appears on an 1835 map of Newark.) There was once lime-quarrying and burning activity south of Newark Rd.

Thorpe Oaks

The Thorpe Oaks Estate is named after the former owner of Coddington Hall, whose estate trees still give us pleasure. WWII wooden huts from RAF Winthorpe survived until at least 1954 when they were replaced by RAF housing. Harvey Avenue estate, known locally as Coddington Camp, passed into Council control when RAF Winthorpe closed. The estate was demolished around 2000.

Beaconsfield Drive
Coddington Hall

Beaconsfield Drive leads to where Coddington Hall stood until the 1960's. A circular paved area within yew hedging marks the site of its ornamental fountain and the Old Coach House and housekeeper’s cottage still remain in this area of beautiful mature trees. In 1918, following the death of the Hall's owner Captain J.S. Thorpe, his estate was sold in a large auction. The sale catalogue gives us detailed information about the hall and all the village lots.

Balderton Lane - Village End

Balderton Lane gives glimpses of Coddington House and good views across fields. The Grade 2 listed Old Forge is an 18th century brick and pantile house. Parts of the Homestead are stone built so are probably older than the other houses which are from the 19th and 20th centuries.

Click the icon for more information

Civil War Earthworks

On each side of Balderton Lane are Civil War Earthworks. During the last siege in 1645-6, Parliamentary forces were stationed in the villages around Newark. Extensive earthworks (now no more than 18" high) were built between the moat and Brownlow's Hill.

Click the icon for more information


Almost hidden behind the houses is the Moat - a scheduled ancient monument, probably 12th century. It is fed by a stream and would have been about 2m deep, but we know very little about it and have no evidence for any buildings on the island. It is associated with the fishpond at the foot of Brownlow’s Hill.

Click the icon for more information

Windmill - Hilltop

The Windmill is separated from the village by fields, the tarred brick tower-mill has no cap or sails and is now a private house. There was quarrying and lime-burning activity near here. Beyond the mill is Hilltop and its converted barns and farm buildings - its barn is now the only village building made largely of Coddington stone.

Click the icon for more information

Coddington House

James Thorpe built Coddington House as a dower house in the mid 1850s. Godfrey Tallents (solicitor and Newark Town Clerk) bought the yellow and red brick house in 1881, and the Tallents stayed until at least 1950. Its distinctive tall brick garden walls are a feature of Main Street - modern houses now nestle behind them. In the 1964 survey traces of civil war earthworks were recorded in the parkland.

Post Office Row

Post Office Row is a row of 7 brick cottages, although most have planked doors and little porch roofs they were not all built together - No 22 is probably the oldest. 5 of the cottages and their gardens formed Lot 35 in the 1918 estate sale – they fetched £460. At that time William Sharp was running the Post Office from no 22.

Click the icon for more information

National Schools
Village Hall

The stone-built National School of 1846, whose classrooms stayed in use until 1964, is now the Scout Hall. Next door is the Village Hall. The corrugated iron clad part was built in 1885 by James Thorpe as the "Working Men's Reading Room", and boasted at least 100 books. The wooden Coronation Hall was added in 1953. These two buildings have been central to village social and political life for more than a century.

Click the icon for more information

Brownlow's Hill

Brownlow's Hill is named after the blacksmith's family who lived at the house at the top of the hill until 1918. A row of cottages faced Brownlow's House and adjacent cottages but were demolished between 1954 and 1965 when the new school and the houses on Valley View were built. A new Community Centre was opened at the bottom of the hill in 2006.

Click the icon for more information