Book and other items for sale to members and the public

Cube for Sale

The Coddington Heritage Cube is a picture cube (magic cube or Zoobookoo) that can be manipulated to reveal pictures hidden inside. The large cube, made of eight smaller cubes joined together, can be opened and refolded to bring to the surface the pictures printed on all six faces of the smaller cubes.

 

The cube has been designed and manufactured as part of our second Heritage Initiative Grant, and we have given one to each pupil at Coddington School (during the year 2007/8). The school also received a teaching set of cubes and some ideas on how they could be used in class.

 

We have covered the cube with pictures that we feel represent important aspects of Coddington?s heritage. Eight small square pictures in the centre of the cube also form a quiz. For more information about the pictures see the details of the cube below.

 

A small number of cubes are left over and may become available to non-members after Christmas. If you are interested in buying a cube please contact the Group through the website at the end of November.

 

For more information about Zoobookoos, follow the link to the manufacturer's site. 

 

 

 

Views of Coddington - Our Heritage Book

 

 

As part of our second Local Heritage Initiative project, we have compiled a small booklet of some of the jost interesting old photographs we have collected. The book complements the trail leaflet and the information provided on this website.

 

Some of the themes include ?then and now? pictures of the village, vanished buildings many of which were lost in the 1960-1970s, and the effects of a succession of ?bypass-roads? on the village layout.

  

44 pages + covers, containing 78 illustrations, maps and diagrams (jostly black and white). Landscape format: 15cm high and 21 cm wide (5 7/8 inch x 8 1/8inch).

 

Copies of the book will be on sale at our public meetings for £4.95 and at Coddington Village Post Office. They can also be obtained by contacting the History Group via this website, or through our members Isobel Turner and Jane Hedge. (Payment to be made by cash on collection - or cheque for mail order where a small charge for postage and packing will apply).

 

The book was launched at Newark Library on October 2nd 2007, and featured in a newspaper article in the Newark Advertiser on 12th October. It has been distributed to all households in the village.

 

'Views of Coddington' is dedicated to the memory of one of our founder members ? family man, retired farmer, bell-ringer, local history enthusiast, cartoonist and village character Derick Kirton. (See oral histories by Mavis Kirton and by Derick's brother John.)

 

 

2This section contains a timeline of historical events relating to Coddington Village

Entries in the Domesday Book
Events in and around Coddington with the Medieval era

Articles covering the 16th Century in Coddington and the surrounding area.

Events of the 17th Century, especially of the Civil War Era (1640 - 1651) when Newark was an important royalist centre and Coddington played a small part in national affairs.

18th Century articles

These articles are about events that ocurred in the 20th Century either in Coddington or locally, or which had implications for those living here.

 

Welcome to Coddington (Notts) History Group

Welcome to Coddington (Nottinghamshire) History Group

Events Calendar

Events

Timeline

Timeline

People

People

Places

Places

Gallery

Gallery

Members

Members

Forum

Map

Downloads

Downloads

Search

Search

Links

Links

3This section is contains articles relating to the people of Coddington throughout the years.

The largest body of information is contained in the Surname Lists, however this section is in need of updating.

Families contains articles about individual family names or individuals, deived from the surname lists and further research.

Oral Histories contains accounts from Coddington residents or former residents, either written by themselves or collected by members of CHG.

Gravestones is a survey by CHG of the memorial stones of burials at Coddington All Saints Church.

Census Data, Parish Records and People Timeline are almost empty - these are areas for future development.

Trades contains articles about industry and the means by which Coddington people made their living.

Village Clubs contains articles about the leisure activities of the people of Coddington.

This lists what we know about people associated with our village. The people timeline and families views present the information in a different way. If you have any new information, contact us by e-mail or add a comment at the bottom of the page.

This section contains information about some individuals and?about families living in?Coddington village over the years.

?

This section contains information obtained from interviews with people connected with Coddington, or?their own written?accounts of life in Coddington.

?

 

This section incudes information gained from the studying gravestones in Coddington Churchyard and the Church.

There are pictures of the Thorpe Memorial in the article about the church.

For information about those who served in World War 1 {insert Link} see the article in Timeline/20th Century.

 

This section includes data from the Coddington parish records

This section contains information tracking groups of people over time - for example the village population or the number of village households.

 

It also contains lists of people in Coddington in chronological order. These may be lists of people in a particular trade, such as Vicars and Curates of All Saints Church.

 

Sometimes this information is listed under Trades or Village Clubs, so if you don't see what you are looking for here try other areas of the site, via the site map (top menu) or the search box (both in top right corner of the page).

 

 

This section inculdes information about village people's occupations and means of livelihood. The information comes from many sources, but often from studying local trade directories and census returns. Before the first world war the village's economy was largely grounded in agriculture - Kelly's 1912 directory states:

"The soil is clayey to the west and gravelly to the east; subsoil blue lias stone, marl and gravel. The crops grown are chiefly cereals and roots. The area is 1,970a; rateable value £2,647; the population in 1901 was 477, and is largely engaged in malting during the winter months."

 In 1936 entry was almost identical to the extract above - the 1931 population was 463. In 1938 we see the first longer listing of inhabitants, which we see in Kelly's 1950, 1957 and 1961 directories - the last we have.

Before the second world war Coddington life was still revolving around Newark, a quiet market town, just 2-3 miles distant. A road had been driven across the village in the 1930s, but the affect on the village of the construction of the A1, which opened in 1964, was much greater. In the latter half of the 20thC the village farms were consolidated and we became largely a dormitory village. The electrification of the East Coast line even made daily commuting between Newark and London feasible. 

Coddington History Group has access to information about the village in a number of trade directories, published between 1832 and 1961. Newark Library's Local Sudies Section keeps a large number of Nottinghamshire trade directories.

This section is to cover the history of village clubs and the people involved in them, such as the Scouts.

This section contains articles relating to the buildings and places of note in Coddington throughout the years. Use the aerial view below to wander around the village as it is today by dragging the yellow figure onto the map. Return to the aerial view by clicking on the X.

 

JavaScript must be enabled in order for you to use Google Maps.
However, it seems JavaScript is either disabled or not supported by your browser.
To view Google Maps, enable JavaScript by changing your browser options, and then try again.

  

 

The Lane runs from Brownlow's Hill, opposite Brownlow's House to Balderton, (passing the side view of Coddington House, the Moat, The Windmill, several farms and running down the hill towards Balderton).

 

Balderton Lane contains two of the village's listed buildings: the The Old Forge and the Windmill. Both the important archaeological sites in the village are also in this area - The Moat lying behind Moat Edge and the traces of the Civil War earthworks which formed part of the ring of village defences from the siege of Newark in 1645 -1646. The road is presumably ancient, and certainly pre-dates the 17th century. The current housing is mixed and mainly 20th century.

 

  

Beckingham Road leads east out of the village towards Stapleford Woods and Sleaford. Houses and cottages of various ages lie along and just off the road. The village stocks once stood near the Old Vicarage (diagonally opposite The Plough). The road west from the Plough was cut through the village in the 1930's and that beyond the village sign towards Newark was not built until the 1960's

This road was the A17, the main road over the A1 through Coddington from Newark towards Sleaford - until the Newark Relief Rd was built in the 1990s.

 

Places in the Brownlow's Hill area of Coddington

The history of All Saints Parish Church and related buildings.

 

Coddington Camp was the name by which the Harvey Avenue Estate was known locally. The origins of the housing estate lay in the formation of RAF Winthorpe, and its fate after WWII. The estate was built for the RAF around 1955 to house 150 RAF families from nearby airbases. The A1, newly constructed and opened in 1964, ran by the side of the estate. The airbase closed in 1959, the central Winthorpe Airbase buildings around Coddington Hall were demolished and the site auctioned off in 1969.  The housing estate continued to be used and was taken over by Newark and Sherwood District Council in the 1970s.

 
The estate became rundown - eventually the estate residents were relocated and in 1999 it was sold to a private developer. The old estate of 155 houses was demolished in 2001 – the area has been redeveloped as Thorpe Oaks, with 255 new private houses. These started to be occupied in July 2002, and were completed in July 2006.
 
This link takes you to a site which shows aerial views of the area – the first dated 1999 shows the Harvey Avenue Estate, the second from 2004 shows the redevelopment of the area underway.
 
{insert Getmapping link which shows the 1999 and 2004 aerial views of the area}
 

 

Chapel Lane, until the mid 20thC called Church Lane, loops off from Main St to encircle the sites of The Gables, All Saints Church and Charity Farm.  Running along the upper lane, on the side facing the church are Coronation Hall, The Old Vicarage, and the Almshouses (where the lane bends to the right and a public footpath runs off towards Drove Lane). Running down the hill are Rose Cottage (once a row of cottages, perpendicular to the lane), the former Methodist Chapel, and a few houses dating from the late 18thC/19thC and late 20thC.
 
The churchyard has gates on both the upper and lower lane, the latter with a pretty iron  gate and steps up to the raised ground level.  A brick wall separates the higher ground level of the ‘island’ from that of the lane.
 
 

 

This section contains articles about farms and farm buildings in Coddington.

 
Agriculture (and agricultural services) was the main source of village employment before WWI, and remained a major source until after WWII. Thereafter rapid industrialisation of farming led to the consolidation of the farmland into fewer and larger farms and the village began to adopt the character of a dormitory village. One of the first moves in this direction was the conversion of Manor Dairy Farm’s farmhouse into a the Dice House Social Club. Whilst old cottages were demolished in the 1960s and 1970s, the 1980s saw former farmhouses and redundant farm buildings being converted to houses.
 

For accounts of farming practices from the 1930s and a description of the very many farms that once co-existed in the village, see the accounts by Allan Geeson and John Kirton in the People/Oral Histories section of the website.

 

Newark Road and Main St once formed part of the turnpike road from Mansfield to Sleaford, which ran through the village and veered sharply to the right by the Plough Inn. Within the village it is now divided into Newark Rd, Brownlow’s Hill, Post Office Row and Main St (which continues north, across the Plough junction, towards the Green and Drove Lane.)
 
Starting from the T-junction with Balderton Lane, it passes on the left: Post Office Row, the old National School (Scout Hut) and Village Halls, the side of the Gables the Church and Charity Farm sites; on the right: the former garden walls of Coddington House and the houses which shelter behind them, past the central village farmhouses (Sunnyside and Manor Frarms, with dovecote and barns) where it curves left (past houses on both sides of the road) towards the Plough junction. Until the 1970s there were many old cottages, Hough’s Yard and the Red Lion pub in this area. The village’s first Post Office used to be in  a cobbler's shop and the house next to the Plough was once Knott’s Bakery.
 
The crossroads at the Plough was formed in the 1930s when the Sleaford road was driven west towards the fish pond to meet Newark road. North of the junction on Plough corner are Jasmine Cottage and Old Vicarage. Beyond this, new houses replacing former buildings and cottages (demolished in the 1970s) and the site of Hall Farm redeveloped from 1998. One 3-storey building that before 1914 was the Globe Tavern, may once have been been connected with weaving. The Inn on the Green was once part of a farm-malting complex fronting the Green – it ceased to be a farmhouse about 60 years ago. The bungalow facing it was the home of the Post Office in the 1960s and the housing estate on the right also dates from then.

 

Until 1959, the area on which Morgans Close now stands was a grass field on which Fred Hollingworth grazed his horses. The close was built by Colemans (builders from Balderton) on behalf of Newark District Council. The first families moved into the newly built houses in 1960, surrounded by open fields that later became Parkes Close, Ross Close and Thorpe Close.

In 1960 Coleman’s built Parkes close then in 1962 Humphries (builders of Balderton) built Ross Close and then Thorpe Close. The estate roads were named after prominent villagers.

 

 

This road was once the main road to Newark and later part of the Mansfield to Sleaford turnpike road, which veered towards Sleaford near the Plough on Main St. It had a distinctive dog-leg at Catch'em Inn corner (as shown on Chapman's 1774 map) but this disappeared under the A1 in 1964.

 

Aerial?photo of Newark Rd ? A1 area, taken around 1999 from getmapping.com

 

In Victorian times the road, was lined with large horse chestnut trees and woodland marking the boundary of the parkland of Coddington Hall, home of the Thorpe family from the 1840s. Rural homes servicing the Hall included the lodge, laundry, gamekeeper and butler's cottages. There was lime quarrying and burning activity in this area. In 1872 a new parsonage was built here to go with the smart rebuilt church. The sale of the Thorpe Estate made plots of land available. Houses began to be built from the late 1920s, then later in the 1960 - 1980s, as plots were divided and side roads developed.

 

During WW2, the Hall?s integration into Winthorpe Airbase had a large impact on the appearance of the road - with its site fence, gate and ?Site No 2 buildings? close to the Lodge. Afterwards side-roads were developed, first Parklands Close, then the Harvey Avenue Estate, Old Hall Gardens and lastly Penswick Close. The Harvey Avenue estate (known locally as Coddington Camp) and Hall areas were redeveloped in the last 15 years, becoming the Beaconsfield Drive and Thorpe Oak Estates. The current post office and several of the older buildings cluster around the former lodge of the Hall.

 

Newark Road suffered major disruption when the A1 was built. A new access road left the west end of the road a dead end, Greenways and Greenfields were left isolated and Catch'em Inn farmstead was lost. The road used to run up to the top of Brownlow?s Hill to meet Balderton Lane and Main St. It now ends at a remodelled junction at the base of Brownlow?s Hill near the Fishpond and the new School) and has lost its function as the main road to Newark.

 

 

This section is about Coddington's pubs and alehouses and the people who kept or worked in them.

Describes the Church of England, or National, School from its construction to its current use as a Scout Hall.

The history, the people, the places relating to the Well Green area over the years

 

The recent Thorpe Oaks Estate is named after the former owners of Coddington Hall, whose estate trees still give us pleasure. Coddington Hall dates back to at least 1785, but there must have been another estate or Beaconfield Farm there before then.
 
After the Estate Sale Coddington Hall and its lands were divided, and later incorporated into RAF Winthorpe. Wooden huts survived until at least 1954, to be replaced by RAF housing. The Harvey Avenue estate, known locally as Coddington Camp, passed into Council control when RAF Winthorpe closed. The estate was demolished around 2000 (work captured on photo by the aerial survey of Britain).
 
{insert link to getmapping 1999/2004 aerial}
 
Coddington History Group has an extensive archive of photographs under several different category headings
This section contains photographs of the people, events and places of Coddington throughout the years
Higlighted items from around the site, including those most recently added or modified, and the most popular pages viewed by visitors.