resume by D C Hedge

Coddington Village

The first record of the village is in Domesday. The Anglo -Saxon name for the hamlet was “Codda’s Farm” or, perhaps “Cotta’s farm”From 1086, throughout the following decades, the village grew and it’s name changed. It was known at various stages as Cotintone, Codintone and, eventually, became Coddington.

Before William the Conqueror, the village and the surrounding area was controlled by a number of people [Thanes] of which Leofric, Buggi, Frani, Wulfric are some that have come to light although not yet verified,
William put in his own rulers including his half brother Bishop of Bayeux, Earl of Kent. The land came under the control of Lincoln and there is a possible connection with Lady Godiva through Leofric. 
This article is as yet unproven but there are strong leads that are being followed to try to be as accurate as is possible. More information will follow at a later date. 



Cotta’s Farm /Codda’s Farm/ Cotintun/ Cotintone

{283v & 284r Great Domesday Book}

People mentioned are:-

 Abbey of St Peter of Peterborough

Arngrim; Aghmund; Audkil

Bothild; Buggi;

Burgesses of Newark on Trent

Priests of Churches of Newark and Barnby in the Willows


Countess Godgifu; Godwine


Hugh, kinsman of Odo, Bishop of Bayeux

Leofwine; Leofric

Nigel, man of Remiglius


Ralph; Remiglius, Bishop of Lincoln



Wulfgeat; Wulfric

Losoard, man of Odo

Wazelin, man of Odo